The World Soundtrack Academy releases the list of nominees for the three principal categories in the World Soundtrack Awards, the most pre-eminent international prizes for the recognition of film music: Film Composer of the Year, Best Original Score of the Year and Best Original Song Written Directly for a Film. The names of the winners will be announced on Saturday, October 20 on the closing evening of the Ghent International Film Festival.
Every year in Ghent, the World Soundtrack Awards (WSA) are presented by the World Soundtrack Academy. The Academy, which was founded in 2001 by the Ghent International Film Festival and a number of film music composers, now encompasses over 270 leading composers. The stated goal of the Academy is to promote music in film, and it is achieving this with ever greater success, as can be seen by the growing (international) interest and recognition being given to film music.
The three principal categories are Film Composer of the Year, Best Original Score of the Year and Best Original Song Written Directly for a Film. In addition to this, at a later time, the Academy Board will also select the Discovery of the Year 2007. In addition to the Awards presented by the Academy, film music fans around the world can vote for their choice of the best soundtrack of the past year.
Film Composer of the Year
• MYCHAEL DANNA (Little Miss Sunshine, Breach, The Nativity Story, Fracture)
• ALEXANDRE DESPLAT (The Queen, The Painted Veil)
• PHILIP GLASS (Notes on a Scandal)
• HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS (Déjà Vu, Shrek the Third, The Number 23, Flushed Away)
• JOHN POWELL (Happy Feet)
Best Original Score of the Year
• THE FOUNTAIN by Clint Mansell
• LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE by Mychael Danna
• NOTES ON A SCANDAL by Philip Glass
• SHREK THE THIRD by Harry Gregson Williams
• ZODIAC by David Shire
Best Original Song Written for Film
• \"LE FESTIN\" from Ratatouille (Music and lyrics by Michael Giacchino and Performed by Camille)
• \"FALLING SLOWLY\" from Once (Written and Performed by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova)
• \"I NEED TO WAKE UP\" from An Inconvenient Truth (Written and Performed by Melissa Etheridge)
• \"WHEN YOU TAUGHT ME HOW TO DANCE\" from Miss Potter (Written by Mike Batt, Nigel Westlake, and Richard Maltby, Jr. - Performed by Katie Melua)
• \"YOU KNOW MY NAME\" from Casino Royale (Written by Chris Cornell and David Arnold Performed by Chris Cornell)
More info: www.worldsoundtrackawards.com