Seventy-five songs from eligible feature-length motion pictures released in 2012 are in contention for nominations in the Original Song category for the 85th Academy Awards, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced today.
The Academy adjusted the nomination process this year to ensure that five nominees would be race for the award. Last year only 39 songs were eligible and only two were nominated.
This year's eligible original songs, along with the motion picture in which each song is featured, are listed below in alphabetical order by film and song title:
- Act of Valor - "For You"
- Any Day Now - "Metaphorical Blanket"
- Being Flynn - "Let It Rain"
- Brave - "Learn Me Right", "Touch the Sky"
- Brooklyn Brothers Beat the Best - "Airport", "Come on Girl", "Someday"
- Brooklyn Castle - "Protect the King"
- California Solo - "California Solo"
- Casa De Mi Padre - "Casa De Mi Padre", "Del Cielo", "Yo No Se"
- Celeste and Jesse Forever - "No Other Plans"
- Chasing Ice - "Before My Time"
- Crossroad - "By the Light of the Moon"
- Damsels in Distress - "The Sambola! International Dance Craze"
- Darling Companion - "When You Comin' Home"
- Death by China - "Death by China"
- Delhi Safari - "Delhi Safari"
- Django Unchained - "Ancora Qui", "Freedom", "100 Black Coffins", "Who Did That to You?"
- Dr. Seuss' The Lorax - "How Bad Can I Be?", "Let It Grow", "Thneedville"
- Downtown Express - "Ain't No Train"
- Fame High - "You Don't Have to Be a Star"
- For Greater Glory: The True Story of Cristiada - "Jose's Martyrdom"
- Frankenweenie - "Strange Love"
- Halloween Party - "Voodoo"
- Hidden Moon - "Luna Nascosta"
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - "Song of the Lonely Mountain"
- The Hunger Games - "Abraham's Daughter"
- Ice Age: Continental Drift - "Master of the Seas", "We Are"
- Jeff, Who Lives at Home - "Looking for a Sign"
- Joyful Noise - "From Here to the Moon and Back", "He's Everything", "I'm Yours"
- Katy Perry: Part of Me - "Wide Awake"
- Lawless - "Cosmonaut"
- Least Among Saints - "Beaten Up and Broken Down"
- Les Miserables - "Suddenly"
- Life of Pi - "Pi's Lullaby"
- Losing Control - "When I Grow Up"
- Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - "Love Always Comes as a Surprise"
- Magic Mike - "Ladies of Tampa"
- The Man with the Iron Fists - "The Baddest Man Alive"
- The Odd Life of Timothy Green - "This Gift"
- Paul Williams Still Alive - "Still Alive"
- People Like Us - "Dotted Line"
- Promised Land - "Snake Eyes"
- The Raid: Redemption - "Razors.Out"
- Re:Generation - "I'm Not Leaving"
- Rise of the Guardians - "Still Dream"
- Rock of Ages - "Undercover Love"
- Safety Not Guaranteed - "Big Machine"
- Saint Dracula - "I Be Here", "I Have Secrets"
- Skyfall - "Skyfall"
- Snow White and the Huntsman - "Breath of Life", "Gone"
- Sparkle - "One Wing"
- Stand Up Guys - "Not Running Anymore"
- Struck by Lightning - "Feel Love"
- Ted - "Everybody Needs a Best Friend"
- 10 Years - "Never Had"
- This Is 40 - "Dull Tool"
- Until They Are Home - "She Won't Let Go"
- Virginia - "Kiss Me Goodbye"
- West of Memphis - "Anything Made of Paper"
- Where Do We Go Now? - "Hashishet Albi"
- Wreck-It Ralph - "When Can I See You Again?"
During the nominations process, all voting members of the Music Branch will receive a Reminder List of works submitted in the category and a DVD copy of the song clips. Members will be asked to watch the clips and then vote in the order of their preference for not more than five achievements in the category. The five achievements receiving the highest number of votes will become the nominations for final voting for the award.
To be eligible, a song must consist of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the film. A clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition of both lyric and melody must be used in the body of the film or as the first music cue in the end credits.
The 85th Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Thursday, January 10, 2013, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.
Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2012 will be presented on Oscar Sunday, February 24, 2013, at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center, and televised live on the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 225 countries worldwide.