Scores from five composers were nominated for the 85th Annual Academy Awards, which is scheduled to air on Sunday, February 24 on ABC. The nominees for Original Score are:
• Dario Marianelli for Anna Karenina
• Alexandre Desplat for Argo
• Mychael Danna for Life of Pi
• John Williams for Lincoln
• Thomas Newman for Skyfall
Last year only two songs were nominated for Original Song which prompted a rule change that now all but requires five nominations in the category. The nominations are:
• "Before My Time" from Chasing Ice; Music and Lyrics by J. Ralph
• "Everybody Needs a Best Friend" from Ted; Music by Walter Murphy and Lyrics by Seth MacFarlane
• "Pi's Lullaby" from Life of Pi; Music by Mychael Danna and Lyrics by Bombay Jayashri
• "Skyfall" from Skyfall; Music and Lyrics by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth
• "Suddenly" from Les Miserables; Music by Claude-Michel Schonberg and Lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil
Director Steven Spielberg's Lincoln led the pack with a total of twelve nominations, followed closely by Ang Lee's Life of Pi, which received eleven.
A complete list of nominees for all categories is available from The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.