The Academy of Motion Pictures and Sciences has invited new members to join the music branch (among other branches) this week, including Justin Hurwitz, Lisa Gerrard, Abel Korzeniowski, Justin Timberlake, and many others. Click here to review all the composers, songwriters and music editors who were invited.
Announced this week were new composer assignments for Christophe Beck (Ant-Man and the Wasp), Danny Elfman (Fifty Shades Freed) and John Debney (The Greatest Showman), among many others. For the full list of composer and music supervisor assignments from this week, click here.
Over 25 new soundtrack albums were released this week. Click here for the full schedule.
Opening in theaters nationwide this weekend are (with music by): Baby Driver (Steven Price), Despicable Me 3 (Heitor Pereira) and The House (Andrew Feltenstein & John Nau). Expanding nationwide from their limited release earlier this month are Beatriz at Dinner (Mark Mothersbaugh) and The Beguiled (Phoenix).
Among all new theatrical releases, we are tracking song credits for:
- Baby Driver (43 songs)
- Despicable Me 3 (25 songs)
- The House (17 songs)
- 13 Minutes (8 songs)
- 2:22 (15 songs)
- Inconceivable (4 songs)
The following composers are celebrating their birthdays within the next week:
- Stanley Clarke (Passenger 57, The Best Man Holiday) is turning 66 today.
- Frederic Talgorn (Fortress, Heavy Metal 2000) is turning 56 on Sunday, July 2.
- David Shire (All the President's Men, Zodiac) is turning 80 on Monday, July 3.
- Inon Zur (Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Origins) is turning 52 Tuesday, July 4.
- John Ottman (X-Men: Days of Future Past, The Usual Suspects) is turning 53 on Thursday, July 6.