Justin Hurwitz took home his third Golden Globe last Sunday for his music to First Man and Benj Pasek and Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando & Andrew Wyatt received the award for the song 'Shallow' from A Star Is Born. For the full story, click here.
This week, the nominations for the British Film Academy Awards (BAFTA) were announced. Check out the nominees in the category "Original Music" here.
The nominations for the Guild of Music Supervisors Awards were also announced this week. Check out the nominees here. Congratulations to all the nominees.
Announced this week were new composer assignments for Rupert Gregson-Williams (Catherine the Great), Danny Bensi & Saunder Jurriaans (The Lodge) and Alberto Iglesias (Pain & Glory (Dolor y gloria)), among many others. For the full list of composer and music supervisor assignments from this week, click here.
Over 35 new soundtrack albums were released this week. Click here for the full schedule.
Opening in theaters nationwide this week are (with music by): A Dog's Way Home (Mychael Danna), Replicas (Mark Kilian) and The Upside (Rob Simonsen). Expanding nationwide from their limited releases last month are If Beale Street Could Talk (Nicholas Britell) and On the Basis of Sex (Mychael Danna).
We are tracking song credits for the following new theatrical releases:
-On the Basis of Sex (13 songs)
-Replicas (4 songs)
-The Upside (32 songs)
-SGT. Will Gardner (9 songs)
-Tall Tales From the Magical Garden of Antoon Krings (Drôles de petites bêtes) (1 song)
The following composers are celebrating their birthdays within the next week:
- Michael J. Lewis (The Medusa Touch, Theatre of Blood) is turning 80 today.
- Bruno Coulais (Coraline, The Crimson Rivers) is turning 65 on Sunday, January 13.
- Trevor Rabin (Remember the Titans, Armageddon) is also turning 65 on January 13.
- John Carpenter (Halloween, Assault in Precint 13) is turning 71 on Wednesday, January 16.
- Atticus Ross (The Social Network, Gone Girl) is turning 51 on January 16.
- Ryuichi Sakamoto (The Revenant, The Last Emperor) is turning 67 on Thursday, January 17.